Tuesday 4 May 2010

Google Analytics

During the last few weeks I’ve been using Goggle analytics in an attempt to learn more about how people are using my blog. To be honest I had great difficulty installing Google analytics, so my findings are considerably lower than they would have been if I had gotten to grips with it earlier.

Did anyone else find installing Google analytics a challenge? I had to resort to following some YouTube tutorial videos to help me get the programme running successfully. As you can see from my hit counter (which stands as 267 at the point of publishing) my blog hasn’t been hugely popular.

I enjoyed limited success from promoting my blog on social network sites like Facebook and Twitter, my blog received 36 and 18 visits from these websites respectively. It is not surprising that most of my visits came from PREP 67 classmates, with more than 80% of hits from the U.K. However Google analytics did inform me that I had some views from further afield, in countries like Bahrain, America and Canada.

So, what did I learn from Google analytics? I would say the main lesson is that it’s pretty tough to set up properly! However, I can definitely see why it would be beneficial for organizations to have, it allows then to see where their internet traffic is coming from which allows for easy distinction of publics. Google analytics tells us much more about the use of our blogs than a typical hit counter and the fact that Google analytics is free is also a major benefit.

I came across an article in Mashable that reveals Googles plans to open a full application gallery for its Google Analytics services. This will also users to analyse their internet traffic for specific elements of their campaign such as SEO, site auditing, content management and email martketing.

No comments:

Post a Comment